A Note to Educators
On December 21, 2011, Governor Kasich signed into law House Bill 157 for Dyslexia Professional Development.
This law permits an Ohio Educational Service Center to engage the services of a “dyslexia specialist” to provide training for K-4 teachers in school districts and other public schools that contract with the ESC for training services regarding (1) the indicators of dyslexia and (2) the types of instruction which children with dyslexia require. HB 157 also permits groups of “local” school districts within an ESC’s territory to engage the services of a dyslexia specialist if the ESC does not provide the training.
Please visit the Ohio legislature website for more details.
As educators, experienced in providing instruction to students with dyslexia, our committee is pleased to offer a two-day workshop: Dyslexia: Remediation, Intervention, and Practical Application Strategies for Effective Instruction. This professional development opportunity is specifically designed in compliance with the topics delineated in House Bill 157, providing current information to translate into accurate identification and informed instruction in Ohio schools.
Please contact any of the listed Dyslexia Specialists below for professional development. For additional information or questions, please contact Rebecca Tolson, Coordinator at (330) 705-6342 or email@example.com.
The Ohio Dyslexia Specialists Coalition
Ohio Level II Dyslexia Specialists
The following is a list to date of Ohio Level II Dyslexia Specialists as defined by the International Dyslexia Association Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading. Each of these Dyslexia Specialists is qualified to provide the training prescribed in House Bill 157. The listings are by county of residence, although presenters may travel to any site to provide service.
- Athens County – Susan Nolan, Ph.D. Faculty at Ohio University
- Cuyahoga County – Ellen R. Brick, M.A., Wilson Language Trainer, Dyslexia Tutor, Educational Consultant, Ellen R. Brick, M.A., LLC
- Franklin County – Jean Colner, BFA, C/AOGPE, ICALP Director of the IMSLEC accredited Columbus Children’s Dyslexia Center, certified at the teacher-trainer and trainer-trainer levels
- Hamilton County – Martha Chiodi, M.Ed., Mount St. Joseph College, Cincinnati Public Schools
- Lake County – Vicki Krnac M.Ed., CALT, Reading Specialist at Gilmour Academy, Certified Academic Language Therapist, Wilson Language Certified
- Lake County – Becky Rowell-Malinas, M.Ed., Wilson Language Trainer, Literacy, Title I and Testing Coordinator, Willoughby-Eastlake Schools
- Lorain County – Heather Petruccelli, B.A., ICALP, Director of the IMSLEC accredited Akron Children’s Dyslexia Center, Certified Orton-Gillingham Trainer
- Stark County – Rebecca Tolson M.Ed. CALT, Tolson Dyslexia Services, LLC, Certified Academic Language Therapist, Wilson Language Certified
- Summit County – Lori Josephson, M.A., LLC,Fellow, Orton-Gillingham Academy of Practitioners and Educators, Wilson Accredited Partner Trainer-All Levels of Certification, Handwriting Without Tears Certification
Share this page with your friends…