Hope and Aspirations Scholarship: Young Adult Literacy Fund
- To provide monies to post-secondary students in need of assessment to establish accommodations for dyslexia or related reading disorders.
- To provide remediation services to young adults for dyslexia or related reading disorders, whether or not they attend a post-secondary institution.
To be eligible, the applicant must
- be between the ages of 18-30
- have a high school diploma or equivalent (or demonstrate a need for remediation in order to complete a GED)
- be a current member of IDA or the applicant’s guardian must be a current member
Term of Award
- Funding shall be awarded for one academic and/or calendar year depending upon the type of award provided (assessment/remedial services).
- The amount of the award may vary contingent upon the needs of the applicant using an individual timeline, as well as funding available.
- Prior recipients may apply for renewal of the award and will be awarded at the discretion of the IDA Northern Ohio Hope and Aspirations Committee with final approval by the IDA Northern Ohio Executive Committee.
All applications will be reviewed by the IDA Northern Ohio Hope and Aspirations Committee, who will then recommend the applicants to the Executive Committee for final approval. The chair of the Hope and Aspirations Committee will notify the recipient(s).
Applicants meeting the following criteria will be given full consideration:
- Complete the online application below.
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation from individuals such as:
- School counselor/advisor
- School administrator
- Community leader such as a pastor, priest, minister, civic, or political
- Employer (current or past)
- Schedule a face to face interview with member(s) of the Hope and Aspirations Committee.
- Submit either
- a typed double-spaced essay (approximately 250-500 words, or
- video about the applicant’s talents, experiences, and/or challenges with dyslexia
- Applicants attending or planning to attend a post-secondary institution are required to submit proof of good academic standing. Other applicants will be considered at the discretion of the Hope and Aspirations Committee.
Applicants who are awarded the scholarship must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Be a member of the IDA (either the applicant or the applicant’s guardian(s).
- Must show proof of enrollment in an accredited educational institution and maintain the academic and disciplinary requirements necessary to remain in good standing according to the policies of the educational institution.
- Applicants must provide a copy of FAFSA to the Hope and Aspirations Committee.
- The scholarship will automatically be forfeited if the student defers admission, withdraws, takes a leave of absence, or fails to remain in good standing at the institution of their choice.
- Applicants who are not enrolled in a post-secondary institution will be required to submit proof of need at the discretion of the Hope and Aspirations Committee. Any monies awarded in this scenario will be paid to an IDA Northern Ohio approved provider for services rendered.
- This award may be given to a maximum of 3 applicants, with the possibility of additional awards dependent upon monies available.
- If this scholarship will be used for an Educational Evaluation/Assessment, the evaluation must be completed by a licensed practitioner qualified to identify learning disabilities in the state of Ohio. Please refer to our List of Providers or obtain our prior approval if the practitioner is not listed.
- If this scholarship will be used for remedial services, the service provider must
- be approved by IDA Northern Ohio
- provide proof of certification in a Structured Literacy program which includes the completion of a supervised practicum
- provide proof of experience working with secondary and post-secondary individuals (references required).
- In order to demonstrate proof of attendance, the service provider must submit to IDA Northern Ohio:
- a monthly progress report including dates of service
- an invoice for services provided
- The Treasurer will disburse funds upon approval of the Hope and Aspirations Committee.
Please fill out the form below. A confirmation email will automatically be generated upon submission. Please make sure to scroll to the bottom of this page after clicking the submit button to check for any messages.
Share this page with your friends…